Backyard Almanac: Win-sprin and woodcocks!
Welcome to Win-sprin, that strange little time of year between the melting of the snow and the greening of the forest floor.
- fire danger ?
- frogs calling (not quite yet)
- new migrants arriving like juncos, new sparrows,
- yellow-bellied sapsuckers, flickers, phoebes, and the first swallows and warblers ?
- the emergence of hibernating butterflies ?
- catkins and tree pollen ??
- https://youtu.be/ta1fxy0MR2c" target="_blank">the wild and wonderful courtship flight of the timberdoodle (or American woodcock) ?
The video of the woodcock's air dance was supplied to YouTube by Mass Audubon's Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary in Cummaquid, MA.